Solar Together - cut carbon emissions and save on energy bills
We are offering residents the opportunity to take part in a community led initiative to boost local renewable energy generation, cut carbon emissions and save on energy bills.
Solar Together is a group-buying scheme where Maidstone residents can come together to invest in renewables through solar panels and battery storage. The innovative Solar Together Maidstone scheme builds on six years of highly successful Solar Together programmes run across the UK.
Residents from across the borough of Maidstone can join the group-buying scheme which offers solar panels with optional battery storage and EV charge points. As well as retrofit battery storage for residents who have already invested in solar panels and are looking to get more from the renewable energy they generate and increase their independence from the grid.
The scheme is free to register and there is no obligation to go ahead with an installation. We are working in partnership with Kent County Council’s independent experts iChoosr, to make the transition to clean energy as cost effective and hassle-free as possible.
Angela Woodhouse, MBC Director of Strategy, Insight and Governance said:
In 2019 Maidstone Borough Council declared a biodiversity and climate emergency, creating a Biodiversity and Climate Change Strategy and action plan to reduce emissions and address these emergencies. As part of our action plan, we are working with local residents and small businesses to help them reduce their carbon footprints. As part of this, MBC is working in partnership with Kent County Council on this innovative new scheme – Solar Together. It offers high-quality solar photovoltaic (PV) panels and battery storage. The project will help our residents cut their carbon emissions and save them money on their energy bills.
How does it work?
- Householders can register online to become part of the group for free and without obligation at Solar Together Maidstone.
- Pre-approved UK solar PV suppliers participate in a reverse auction. They are able to offer competitive pricing as the volume and geographic concentration makes it possible for them to realise greater efficiencies, which they pass on with lower prices for installations.
- After the auction, registered households will be emailed a personal recommendation which is specific to the details they submitted in their registration.
- If they choose to accept their recommendation, the specifics of their installation will be confirmed with a technical survey after which a date can be set for the installation of their solar PV system.
- Telephone and email helpdesks are on-hand throughout the whole process which, together with information sessions, will allow households to make an informed decision in a safe and hassle-free environment.
Marie-Louise Abretti, iChoosr UK Solar Manager added:
With energy prices continuing to increase, residents of Maidstone are looking for opportunities to reduce their carbon emissions, save on energy bills and increase their independence from the grid. The Solar Together group-buying scheme offers a straightforward way to make an informed decision and to access a competitive offer from a trusted, vetted provider.
iChoosr has a strong track record of delivering group purchase schemes for local authorities. It has worked with 210 UK local authorities on its collective energy switching schemes. Furthermore, in 2018 UK councils, in collaboration with iChoosr, initiated their collective purchase schemes for solar PV systems. iChoosr’s schemes have been delivered in partnership with local authorities in five countries. Over 95 schemes led to 148,000 residents installing solar PV systems.
Anyone who would like to find out more or has any questions can call Solar Together free of charge on 0800 014 8721, Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm.
For more information, visit Solar Together Maidstone where you can register for the scheme and get in touch with the helpdesk.